Some of the most beautiful work of this craftsman, and many others, are in this book “Liège Gunmakers through their Work. 1800 - 1950”.
For more detail see: LIEGE GUNMAKERS
Bertrand Antoine & Fils
Here is a revolver with five shots of unspecified caliber (undoubtedly of the . 320?), chrome plated, cheap floral engravings, stock plates in ivory or more likely bone, with tilting barrel and ejector rod (probably not original, at least its knob).
I wonder about the function and operation of the right side door species...
ELG on star in crowned oval: acceptance between 1893 and 1968;
F under star: countermark of a controller between 1877 and 1868;
L crowned: often encountered, not identified;
R crowned on the barrel: rifled bore, between 1894 and 1968.
According to the "Qui est qui de l'armurerie liégeois", Antoine Bertrand & Fils was established rue Fabry 25 in Liege. Enrolled in the Proofhouse between 1886 and 1900. He was one of the founders of the school of armoury of Liege.
He filed 38 trademarks (including “The Terrific” on October 17, 1885) and two patents. This company actually originates from Riga A & Co. , active between 1877 and 1886. That year, Bertrand Antoine et Fils and Riga A. & Cie dissociated. In 1900, Bertrand’s business was taken over by Fabrique d’Armes Réunies S. A.
GP with the appreciated help of HPH
BERTRAND Antoine & Fils
It is indeed about a revolver of origin of Liège (Belgian) manufactured by the company BERTRAND Antoine & Fils street Fabry, 25 in Liege.
The company was registered with the proofhouse of Liege of 1886 to 1900.
This company was specialized in the revolver which bore evocative names like THE TERRIFIC - THE DESTROYER – THE ZULU – THE HUNTER – THE BUSMAN – THE MURDERER – THE PROTECTOR - THE DEFENDER – THE BOLD – THE REVENGER – THE WAKEFUL – THE WESTERN BOY – THE STRONG and so on..
The activity of this company was taken again in 1900 by LES FABRIQUES D’ARMES REUNIES S.A.
This weapon is thus a revolver with vertical percussion (pinfire) and with open frame of type “Lefaucheux”, the alveolus barrel with 6 shots (so well considering?), the loading is practiced by the side door and unloading using the rod sliding in a guide integrated into the console and which is maintained by a small leaf spring.
The barrel is with eight sides with front sight in half-moon.
The grips in wood (walnut tree?) are finely smooth and joined together by a through screw and two rivet washers, it could be a question of plates of grips remade.
It carries the punches of the proofhouse of Liege, namely:
Spangled ELG in a crowned oval: acceptance post 1893.
L spangled (so well considering?): countermark of the controller post 1877.
R crowned: rifled bore, of use of 1894 to 1968.
6: is a job number?
Crowned mark B&F belongs to the arms manufacturer Bertrand Antoine & Fils (Son).
Mark The Destroyer was deposited the 17.10.1885.
BERTRAND Antoine & Fils
This is indeed a revolver of Belgian origin (Liege)) manufactured by BERTAND Antoine & Fils,25 rue Fabry, in Liege.
The company was registered with the Liege Proof House from 1886 to 1900.
This company specialized in revolvers with evocative names like: THE TERRIFIC - THE DESTROYER - THE ZULU - THE HUNTER - THE BUSHMAN - THE MURDERER - THE PROTECTOR - THE DEFENDER - THE BOLD - THE REVENGER - THE WAKEFUL - THE WESTERN SERVANT BOY - THE STRONG..... etc.
The activities of this company were acquired by the LES FABRIQUES D’ARMES REUNIES S.A. , in 1900.
This gun is a center fire revolver with a “bulldog type”solid frame. Rebounding hammer type lockwork, 6 shots cylinder (Caliber ? .380 ), loading through a side gate and unloading using the rod, swivelling on an axis.
The barrel is octagonal with a dovetailed front sight (missing).
The frame is equipped with a MAUSER type safety.
The grips (walnut ??) are checkered and finely joined together by a through screw and two washers. Ring at buttcap.
This weapon found on the 14/18 battlefield, in YPRES, Belgium or AMIENS in France is not a regulation weapon, possibly an auxiliary weapon carried by one of the belligerents?
Stamped with the marks of the Liege Proof House, namely:
STAR/ ELG in a crowned oval: acceptance post 1893.
STAR/C: countermark of the controller post 1877.
CROWN/R: rifled bore, in use from 1894 to 1968.
CROWN//L on the barrel is probably the mark of the foundry having produced this part as the mark ACIER FONDU (CRUCIBLE CAST STEEL) attests!
9308J: is a job number.
Although in poor condition, this gun is a splendid family memento of the Great War!
Back to "IDENTIFIED CRAFTSMEN