Some of the most beautiful work of this craftsman, and many others, are in this book “Liège Gunmakers through their Work. 1800 - 1950”.
For more detail see: LIEGE GUNMAKERS
It is a rifle with breakage and opening "snake key. " The calibre is 9mm Flobert. The juxtaposed barrels are smooth and of 12 caliber. The closure system has double latch and lateral lever. This one, instead of being placed in front of the bridge, bypasses the plate and ends near the place occupied by the thumb when the rifle is held, thus making handling easier.
The walnut butt is of the "pistol" type.
The weapon shall bear the prescribed stamps of the proofhouse of Liège, namely:
ELG * in a crowned oval: final acceptance after 1893.
S * and X *: countermarks of post 1877 controllers.
EL in English letters: provisional test, in use from 1852 to the present day.
Peron: inspection, in use from 1853 to the present day.
12-65 in an omega letter: nominal size and length of the case, in use from June 30, 1924 to today.
1K482: barrel weight capable of firing smokeless powders (smooth weapons) to the nearest gram.
PV surmounted by a stylized lion: smokeless powder test. In use from 1898 to 1968.
CHOKE 12. 8: choked barrels: calibrated to 22 cm from the breech, in use from 1924 to 1968.
Omikron letter (not certain) This could be the date of manufacture??
The weapon also bears the following marks:
A. Dupont Liège Belgique: this is the brand of the manufacturer Alexandre Dupont rue de la Province, 19 in Liège, registered on the proofhouse from 1923 to 1961.
D Crowned (so well read?) It could be a barrel of Delcour in Nessonvaux.
This a double rifle for big game hunting. Break open rifled barrels , in calibre 9,3 X 74R.
The front locks of hammerless type with “Top lever” locking key and “Galand” type sliding safety.
The gun is equipped with a AMPOINT 5000 scope attached to a rectangular base plate. A rear sight folded into the base plate can be opened out when the gun is used without the scope.
Ball ended checkered forearm.
English type Walnut stock with finely checkered forearm.
The metal parts of the gun are covered with engraved hunting scenes with gold inlays. This engraving is signed J. BAERTEN, a Liege engraver working for the FN in the 1970s.
This gun bears the Liege proof house stamps i.e:
STAR/ ELG in a crowned oval: acceptance post 1893.
PV surrounding the Perron in a crowned oval: acceptance for smokeless powders, of use since February 26, 1968.
Perron: inspection post 1853.
STAR/D : counter mark of the controller post 1877.
PV surmounted of a stylized lion: test with smokeless powder, used from 1898 to 1968.
CROWNED R : rifled bores, used from 1894 to 1968.
e: yearly letter for 1966 (year of manufacture).
1Kg695: weight of the barrel for smokeless powders (smooth bores guns) used 1924 until today .
9,3 X 74R - 3000 BAR: calibre and pressure of the rifled bore.
This gun bears a mark AD in a circle which is assigned to DUPONT Alexandre, 19 rue de la Province, in Liege and who was active from 1923 to 1970.
56 should be the serial number of the gun.
Where it becomes more complicated.......... the mention “Manufacture liégeoise SA” hand engraved thus posterior and which, in no way, must be confused with “Manufacture liégeoise d’armes à feu” 54 rue de Vertbois, in Liege, company bought in 1929 by the ARMAF company.(1929/1972)
The name “Manufacture liégeoise SA” does not appear in “Who’s Who” in Liege arms manufacturing ?
The question thus remains open for this company.
Back to "IDENTIFIED CRAFTSMEN"