Some of the most beautiful work of this craftsman, and many others, are in this book “Liège Gunmakers through their Work. 1800 - 1950”.
For more detail see: LIEGE GUNMAKERS
It is about a revolver with central percussion and closed frame.
The plate of covering placed on the left side opens by unscrewing a screw placed at the rear of the console and swivels on an axis placed in front of this same console.
The cylinder with six chambers is smooth and is supplied by a side door, dropping thanks to the action of an internal spring.
Unloading is practiced using a fixed rod sliding in a guide integrated into the console.
The barrel with 8 sides carries a back sight in half-moon.
The plates out of wooden of drowning are smooth and maintained by a screw and two rivet washers with ears.
The stick ends in a ring of cap gone up on screw-pivot.
The weapon carries the punches of the proofhouse of Liege, namely:
ELG on star in an oval: final acceptance, of use of 1846 to 1893.
J surmounted of a star: countermark of the controller post 1877.
Period of manufacture: between 1877 and 1893.
The weapon carries mark LEBEAU FRERES BREVET.
Company LEBEAU Brothers then LEBEAU Brothers & Co (BE 1876-1881) was located street Darchis, 34 in LIEGE.
It deposits in 1879, the trademark “THE PUPPY” and 16 patents with various inventions of guns.
LEBEAU Brothers (Jules and Gustave) of Liege, contemporaries of Lebeau Auguste, at this stage I am unaware of if there were a family tie. The two revolvers presented are them either of one or the other of the two brothers.
Engraved revolver by Lebeau
SUPERBLY ENGRAVED GILON'S PATENT D.A. CENTREFIRE ARMY REVOLVER BY LEBEAU FRERES, CIRCA 1875. 1mm centrefire breaktop with 6" octagonal barrel signed in gold "Lebeau Freres/ Brevetes" and stamped on the left side near breech "N. Gilon/ Brevete". Magnificent relief floral scrolls and frame with nice belted oval cartouches on each side. Gold inlaid with maker's name on barrel. Factory ebony grips.
This revolver has a resemblance to the lawful revolver French 1873 and indeed, the brothers Jules and Gustave Lebeau, which had been established arms manufacturers in Liege in 1861, deposited, November 8, 1873, a patent concerning a "improvement" of Chamelot-Delvigne, concerning a system of opening of the frame, the left part swivelling on a hinge. This revolver will do itself the object of an amendment by the Rumanian captain Buescu who will make adopt the revolver like model 1876 for the army of his country.
But let us return to this revolver of shooting, presented about 1887 (according to Daniel Casanova, gazette of Weapons 269). It fits in a 29 cm length rectangle on 16 cm height. The striped hexagonal gun has a sizeable length of 20 cm. The short barrel of 12 blows is immediately noticed, which is normal for weak the 6 mm Flobert. The frame is consequently studied in staircase, and the gun, screwed in the aforementioned frame, is prolonged through the frame to the barrel. The system of extraction with rod in the axis of the barrel is completely traditional. The weapon presented here is not signed and does not have a number. The frame is marbled, the trigger and the hammer is "polished white", the gun, the barrel and the trigger guard is bronzed. Except the traditional punch of the bench of test of Liege and the R crowned, one finds only twice C surmounted by a star of the controller. Under the left plate letters AD in a circle appear twice (?).
The specimen presented in the Gazette of Weapons 269 presents some differences: the gun is signed "Gustave Lebeau", the handles are out of ebony, and the door of ejection is deprived of small nozzle. Only the gun and the barrel are bronzed, the other parts being polished white.
Back to "IDENTIFIED CRAFTSMEN"