Winchester 1892

The ammunition .44-40 Winchester Center Fire was designed for the Winchester 1873.

It replaced the . 44 Henry ammunition. Its name comes from the combination of its caliber (.44) and its powder charge originally 40 grains of black powder.

This calibre, also known as .44 Winchester, .44 WCF (Winchester Center Fire), and .44 Largo (in Spanish-speaking countries) was introduced in 1873 by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company.

It was the first metallic centerfire cartridge manufactured by Winchester.

As both a rifle and a handgun caliber, the cartridge soon became widely popular, so much so that the Winchester Model 1873 rifle became known as "The gun that won the West".

Back to "Private collection"