Some of the most beautiful work of this craftsman, and many others, are in this book “Liège Gunmakers through their Work. 1800 - 1950”.

For more detail see: LIEGE GUNMAKERS

Merolla Frères

It is a revolver pinfire and box frame, made in Liège as evidenced by the Liège proofmarks. The fluted barrel own 6 chambers. The barrel is octagonal with raised front sight and the calibre is 9 mm. A metal rod is placed under the barrel and attached to the console.

To open the gun, simply unscrew the screw fixing the barrel to the carcass and the screw fixing the barrel on the shaft. The barrel comes off and releases the cylinder. The part that closes the frame above the barrel is fitted into the carcass with two pins.

The butt consists of two beautifully carved wooden chimeras. They are held by a central screw and two rosettes. The butt ends with a ring and its pivot screw.

The punches

The weapon bears the marks of the Liège proofhouse, namely:

ELG on a star in a vertical oval: definitive acceptance, in use from 1846 to 1893.

U*: Controller’s countermark, in use from 1877 to 1968.

Marks

Apart from serial number 435, the brands are conspicuous by their absence. No brand of the Liège manufacturer. It could nevertheless be a weapon of the Merolla brothers (see patent 23. 148 of 30. 04. 1868 attached)

GG

This weapon works in single and double action.

The original system for disassembling the revolver is also found on a revolver marked Rube Bte (see 19th Century pistols and pocket revolvers by Dimitri Singer page 95).

Rube was an armourer at Montdidier in 1855.

Back to "Private collection"