Some of the most beautiful work of this craftsman, and many others, are in this book “Liège Gunmakers through their Work. 1800 - 1950”.
For more detail see: LIEGE GUNMAKERS
Charles Philibert Clément
It is about a revolver with central percussion and with closed framework of type CONSTABULARY, the cylinder not grooved is with 6 shots of large gauge, of the 11mm.
The barrel is round with a front sight in half-moon.
A bead is dug in the higher part of the carcass in front of the hammer.
The lock is with double movement and hammer rebounding standard Warnant.
A barring lever of the cylinder is placed on the left face of the carcass and is fixed by a screw pivot located just above the part before trigger guard.
With the back, the arm ends in a flat tint rubbing on a stop, which makes it possible to place the whole in low position;
Thus, the hook can enter one of the rooms making thus impossible the rotation of the cylinder.
Raised in high position, the hook releases the room.
An arrow surrounded of figures 1 and 2 is engraved on the cylinder indicating the site of the two first cartridges obligatorily to blank, like the Belgian prison warders with their revolver NAGANT says “prison warder”.
The loading is practiced by a door rocking on the right and placed on the right face of the carcass.
Under the barrel, a swivelling rod placing itself in the axis of the barrel, is designed to withdraw the casings.
The handle comprises two wood plates of drowning squared and ends in a metal cap.
The weapon carries the punches of the proofhouse of Liege, namely:
ELG on star in an oval: final acceptance, of use of 1846 to 1893.
Y under crown: countermark of the controller of use of 1853 to 1877.
The other marks are:
C. CLEMENT Bte: Charles Philibert CLEMENT street Chéri in LIEGE was a manufacturer of weapons considered in Liege (see the history on the CLEMENT page on our site)
In conclusion this revolver also called “revolver of factor” is a weapon ignored enough in its version “agent of the stations” and its safety stopping the cylinder and whose at the very least awkward presence, was justified only by the internal payment of the Stations obliging a loading with blank for the first two shots.
Back to "My COLLECTION"