Some of the most beautiful work of this craftsman, and many others, are in this book “Liège Gunmakers through their Work. 1800 - 1950”.
For more detail see: LIEGE GUNMAKERS
It is about a revolver of the type “military” with central percussion and box frame manufactured by company PIRLOT BROTHERS in LIEGE registered with the proofhouse of 1836 to 1877. They deposited 5 patents between 1864 and 1878. It was large exporters of weapons towards South America.
The loading is practiced by a side door dropping towards the back thanks to the action of an internal spring.
The grooved cylinder would be of calibre 44 Russian.
The stick consists of two plates in walnut seems it, those squared and are joined together by a transverse screw and two rivet washers with ears. The stick ends in a ring and its screw-pivot.
The weapon carries the punches of the proofhouse of Liege, namely:
N crowned: countermark of the controller of use of 1853 to 1877!
Isn't punch ELG in a vertical oval visible on the photographs?
The weapon also carries the following marks:
A 482 2: is a serial number.
PIRLOT FRERES A LIEGE: street Gilles Saint, 95, manufacturer of the weapon. PIRLOT Gustave associated with this company is also the author of 8 Belgian patents.
APPENDICES: three drawings of revolvers PIRLOT Frs deposited by this company. Without isn't photographs of the interior of this weapon it’s not possible for me to determine of which it acts?
We are in the presence of a revolver developped by CHAMELOT-DELVIGNE-SCHMIDT and manufactured by PIRLOT.
Letters CDS in an oval mean CHAMELOT-DELVIGNE-SCHMIDT.
This part finds its origin in Switzerland and the calibre is of the 10,4 Swiss ones just as the letter and its number is to be allotted to a Swiss military district.
The weapon doesn’t have the Swiss cross, but at that time the arsenals worked a little each one in their corners, and the officers bought their weapons on a purely private basis.
Back to "Private collection"