Some of the most beautiful work of this craftsman, and many others, are in this book “Liège Gunmakers through their Work. 1800 - 1950”.

For more detail see: LIEGE GUNMAKERS

Janssen Fils & Cie

     

It is about a revolver of the type “Smith & Wesson” with central percussion and top break. This part is completely nickelled. The opening is practiced while drawing on the higher key.

The barrel is round and striped, it carries a band of aiming and a front sight in half-moon.

The grooved cylinder is with 5 shots (gauges not communicated)

The curved trigger is protected by a trigger guard.

The hardened rubber plates are joined together by a transverse screw and two rivet washers, they carry a star for decoration.

The weapon carries the lawful punches of the proofhouse of LIEGE, namely:

ELG on star in a crowned oval: final acceptance post 1893.

R crowned: rifled bore, of use of 1894 to 1968.

Spangled AE: countermark of the controller post 1877.

The weapon also carries the following marks:

Star JFC in an oval: mark of factory deposited the 12.10.1903 by the factory of weapons.

Janssen Fils street Lambert the Stammerer, 4 in Liège.

C crowned on the internal face of the barrel: it should be a question of a mark of founder of barrel?

DJ on an amount of stick: it is probably about a mark of subcontractor not identified.

GG

Janssen Fils & Cie

It is about a shotgun of the hammerless type to central percussion. The weapon operates using the key superior “top lever. The weapon is equipped with a safety of the type “Galand”. The stick in walnut is of standard “pistol”. The barrels of gauge 16 are juxtaposed. The double trigger is protected by an oval trigger guard. The forearm is of type “with pump”. It carries a rich animalist engraving gilded on arabesques.

The weapon carries the lawful punches of the proofhouse of Liege, namely:

ELG* in a crowned oval: final acceptance of 1893 to our days.

Peron: inspection post 1853.

X*and AV*: countermarks of the controllers, of use of 1877 to 1968.

EL in English letters: provisional test, of use of 1852 to our days.

Stylized lion surmounting letters PV: test with the smoke-free powder, of use of 1898 to 1968.

16C in a rhombus: gauge, of use from 10/4/1898 to 6/30/1924.

Choke 16.2/17.0 and 15.5/17.2: chokes barrels gauged in mm with 22cm of the breech and the mouth. Of use from 2/25/1910 to 6/30/1924.

P1Kg31,6 (read so well?): Weight of the barrel which can draw from the smoke-free powders (smooth weapons). In use from June 11th, 1892 to June 30th, 1924.

D=65/19,0: length of the room in mm and diameter in mm after optional test with the smoke-free powder. In use from 6/6/1892 to 6/30/1924.

M.C.C.T in a circle: punch of manufacturer of barrels for firearms not identified?

The weapon also carries the following marks:

78672: classification of the weapon.

7975: classification of the barrel.

440: in front of forearm, classification of workshop?

J F and C * in a vertical oval: it is the mark of the manufacturer of Liège JANSEN Fils & Co, street Lambert the stammerer, n° 4. This firm was registered with the proofhouse of Liège of 1895 with 1937. It deposited 2 patents for a rifle hammerless with central fire. The firm deposited 28 trademarks.

Mécanisme par la fabrique d’armes de guerre de Herstal: mechanism manufactures by the F.N. HERSTAL!!

GG

Janssen Fils &C°

It is about a shotgun of the hammerless type to central percussion. The weapon operates using the key “Top Lever”. The weapon is equipped with a safety of the type “Galand”. A part of inch (virgin of inscription) is placed at the bottom of the English stick in walnut. The barrels of gauge 12 are juxtaposed.

The weapon carries the lawful punches of the proofhouse of Liege, namely:

ELG* in a crowned oval: final acceptance of 1893 to our days.

Peron: inspection post 1853.

V*: countermark of the controller, of use of 1877 to 1968.

EL in English letters: provisional test, of use of 1852 to our days.

Stylized lion surmounting letters PV: test with the smoke-free powder, of use of 1898 to 1968.

12-70 in an omega: gauge nominal and length of the casing, of use of June 30th, 1924 at our days.

Choke 18.3: chokes barrels. Gauged to 22 cm of the breech. In use from June 30th, 1924 to February 26th, 1968.

1Kg5?? : Weight of the barrel which can draw from the smoke-free powders (smooth weapons) except for the gram. In use of June 30th, 1924 at our days.

The weapon also carries the following marks:

D crowned: it is the trademark of gunners DELCOUR-DUPONT in Nessonvaux (see the site).

91131: classification of the weapon.

J F and C°: it is the mark of the manufacturer of Liège JANSEN Fils & Co, street Lambert the stammerer, n° 4. This firm was registered with the proofhouse of Liège of 1895 to 1937. They deposited 2 patents for a rifle hammerless with central fire. The firm deposited 28 trademarks.

GG

Janssen Fils &C°

This is a hammerless “hunchback” type revolver. The rifled barrel is round with an upper rectangular stripe and a crescent front sight. The loading is provided by a right side door. The fluted cylinder looks like it’s five shots away. The calibre is not indicated on the gun. A safety is placed on the rear left flank. Grid crosses seem to me to be in gutta-percha or ebonite?

The weapon bears the statutory hallmarks of the Liège proofhouse, namely:

ELG * in a crowned oval: acceptance post 1893.

L *: countermark of the controller post 1877.

R crowned: rifled barrel, in use from 1894 to 1968.

PV surmounted by a stylized lion: smokeless powder proof, in use from 1898 to 1968.

The gun also bears the manufacturer’s mark, namely Janssen Fils & Cie rue Saint Gilles, 87 in Liège.

GG

Janssen Fils &C°

It is about a shotgun top break to central percussion. The unrifled bores juxtaposed are of gauge 12. Locks are of type “ahead”, the hammers are external and the key being between them “Top Lever”. The forearm is with push rod and the stick out of wooden of walnut is of English type with a buttplate in moulded horn seem-you it with the logo of the manufacturer. It also carries a piece of inch which could be out of new silver and which presents an engraving of initial the PC which must be in all probability those of the first owner.

The barrels carry a damascened inscription partially illegible in fine gold is “SPECIAL RIFLE TO HONOR??????”.

The weapon also presents the lawful punches of the profhouse of Liege, namely:

ELG on star in a crowned oval: final acceptance post 1893.

Peron: inspection, of use of 1853 to our days.

S and X spangled: countermarks of the controllers post 1877.

EL in English letters: provisional test, of use of 1852 to our days.

12 C in a rhombus: gauge, of use of 1898 to 1924.

PV surmounted of a stylized lion: test with the powder without smoke, of use of 1898 to 1968.

P1K468,8: weight of the barrel which can draw from the powders without smoke (weapons smooth) Of use of 1898 to 1968.

The weapon also carries other marks, namely:

79953 PV: serial number.

JF in a circle: it is about a trademark of JANSEN Fils &C° street Lambert the Stammerer, 4 in LIEGE. This company was registered with the proofhouse of Liège de1895 at 1937. It deposited two patents during this period. It was taken again by JANSEN Fils & C° (old establishments) S.A. street Saint Gilles, 87 in LIEGE. It was activates of 1937 to 1951.

The present weapon, according to the punches of tests, was manufactured between 1898 and 1924.

In appendix: advertising insert of this firm.

GG

Janssen Fils & Cie

The weapon

It is about an automatic pistol reloading itself by the force of the recoil.

This weapon is dismountable without tool.

It was manufactured in two gauges, namely:

6,35 mm or 25 ACP STATES - weights 400 gr. - Lengths 11 cm - charger of 6 blows.

7,56 mm or 32 ACP STATES - weights 650 gr. - Length 16 cm - charger of 8 blows.

See page extracted the catalogue ALFA in appendix.

Punches

They are the lawful punches of the proofhouse of Liege, namely:

T spangled: countermark of the controller post 1877.

PV surmounted of a stylized lion: test with the powder without smoke, of use of 1898 to 1968.

The following punch is not visible on the photographs but it is about the ELG on star in a crowned oval representing the final acceptance of the tests post 1893.

Markings

PISTOLET AUTOMATIQUE JIEFFECO DEPOSE BREVETE S.G.D.G. (sans garantie du gouvernement) (AUTOMATIC GUN JIEFFECO DEMOUNTING PATENTS S.G.D.G.) (without guarantee of the government) Patent 24875/08: without comment.

JIEFFECO: mark deposited the 08/07/1909 by company JANSEN Son & Co street Lambert the Stammerer, 4 in LIEGE. It was registered with the proofhouse of Liege of 1895 to 1935.

HR crowned in an oval: Henri ROSIER was the inventor of the weapon in question (patent n° 24875/08). It yielded his rights on this invention to company JANSEN wire & Co which manufactured the JIEFFECO and to the company ROBAR which manufactured the MELIOR since 1910.

5900: serial number.

Illegible logo of handle: it is most probably about the mark mentioned again in appendix.

GG

JANSSEN Fils & Cie

LIEGE street Lambert le bègue, 4 then street St Gilles, 87 was rested by Joseph JANSSEN (Bench of test of Liege 1865/1897).

This firm evolved in time by changing several times of corporate name, that is to say:

JANSSEN Fils & Co (bench of tests of LIEGE 1895 – 1937) and rue Lambert Le bègue, 4 to LIEGE..

Etablissements JANSSEN Fils & Co S.A. (bench of tests of LIEGE 1937 – 1951) to LIEGE rue St Gilles,87.

Fabrique d’Armes JANSSEN Fils & Co S.A. (bench of tests of LIEGE 1951 to 1954) rue St Gilles, 87 to LIEGE.

This company deposited various trademarks of which:

JF&C –CAMELLO – HANOVER ARMS Co – NITRO-STEEL – COLONIA LIEGE- ACIER PYROXYLE – JANSSEN SONS & Co – SOUTHERN ARMS Co – COSMOPOLITE.

JANSSEN Fils & Cie

Shotgun to barrels in table, lock hammerless and key top lever.

c: yearly letter of 1924

The manufacturer

JANSEN Fils & C° à LIEGE: this firm was installed in Liege street Lambert the stammerer, 4 then street St Gilles, 87. He was registered under two corporate names with the house of test of Liege of 1895 with 1951. He deposited 28 trademarks of which JIEFFCO and JIEFFE & C°.

This company had a speciality of the shotguns entirely manufactured to the machine, rifles hammerless with or without ejectors, rifles, pistols and revolvers, piston rifles and pistols, weapons of reformed draft and war

FUSIL SPECIAL POUR POUDRE BLANCHE: obvious mention announcing (for the initial amateurs in my opinion) that the weapon can draw from the sharp powder and not from the blasting powder.

GG

JANSSEN Fils & Cie

It is about a shotgun to juxtaposed guns smooth, with locks behind, external hammers and English stick.

Punches

It carries the punches of the proof house of Liege, namely:

Spangled ELG in a crowned oval: final acceptance, of use of 1893 to 1968.

G spangled: countermark of the controller, of use of 1877 to 1968.

12-70 in large C: gauge nominal and length of the casing, post 1924.

The manufacturer

The mark DOMINION Arms C° was deposited the 05.12.1907 by the establishments JANSEN Fils & Co street Lambert the Stammerer, n° 4 in Liege.

This company was registered with the proof house of Liège of 1895 to 1937.

Mark BELGIUM does without comments.

GG

JANSSEN Fils & C°

It acts of a very traditional shotgun gauges 12, with juxtaposed barrels, hammerless, key top lever, safety on the support, grip pistol with cheek.

The manufacturer

Mark COLONIA-LIEGE was deposited the 12.10.1903 by JANSSEN Fils & C° street Lambert the stammerer, n° 4. This company founded in 1867, was registered under this denomination with the bench of test of 1895 with 1937. He deposited 28 trademarks of 1895 to 1911 of which JIEFFCO - JIEFFE & C° - COLONIA-LIEGE.

The oval mark on each barrel and containing a crown and the letters J F C also belong to this company.

GG

Janssen Sons & Cie

Gauge 410 -  Barrels of 26"

Many thanks to "FINE ARMS" (Alan Carriveau) for the nice pictures.

Back to "JANSSEN"